In Fort William right now at Fort William Backpackers - free internet! woohoo! We've been staying at hostels most of the time, usually in private rooms but occasionally we've had to stay in dorm rooms which has been universally a bad idea. Couples snogging, people snoring, squeaky beds, one chick was blowing her nose over and over. I think I'm too old and grumpy for that now so I've put my foot down on the dorms. I'd rather camp!
The highlands were stunning. We stayed in a wonderful remote hostel on the beach (Achmelvich Beach if anyone is googling) for a few days and one day drove all the way up to Durness at the very tippy top of Scotland. Very wild and remote... wonderful!! We then diverted over to Isle of Skye and shortened our stay there when we realized we miscounted and only had 6 days to get back to London, not 8 ("Isn't it Monday today? What? It's Wednesday?!?"). We'll wander around here for a couple of days then take two days to power south, stopping for some culture and history in York and Oxford.
We've been pretty much driving and gawking and stopping for lots and lots of photo ops. I'm still hobbling on my stoopid bad hip and my traveling partner has a bad knee so much to my dismay, no walks or hikes. I intend to come back when I am healthy and park up in the highlands for a week or two for a much more of a quiet walking holiday instead of speedy shooting holiday. We did stop at a whisky distillery though so now I know all about making whisky!
It looks like a beautiful day out so I'll be off to do more gawking!
Thanks for reading if you've kept up with me so far!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm keeping up. You write 'em, I'll read 'em.
Post a Comment